“Frugalista” finalist for “Word of the Year” | The Frugalista

“Frugalista” finalist for “Word of the Year”

by frugalista on November 23, 2008

soup24 frugal biz jml Frugalista finalist for Word of the Year
Great NEWS! "Frugalista"is an Oxford University Press finalist for "Word of the Year 2008." This is AWESOME!  Here’s what Oxford wrote:

frugalista
– person who leads a frugal lifestyle, but stays fashionable and
healthy by swapping clothes, buying second-hand, growing own produce,
etc.

Teehee! Oxford even linked back to the blog! The only thing I would have added to the definition was that frugalistas enjoy good AND cheap wine! I kid! I kid! Frugalistas are so en vogue! Hypermiling, which is the act of using various tactics to get more mileage out of your gas, beat frugalista out for word of the year! I  think frugalista is better and the New York Times! agrees. In his column, journalist William Safire said that the word rings his bell. Yes, frugalistas have that effect on people. icon wink Frugalista finalist for Word of the Year

What’s your word of the year?

nickimayonews November 23, 2008 at 8:08 am

I’ve always been frugal by force, so I’m so amped that “Frugalista” made it into Oxford. It’s really a way of life! I only binge shop at outlets, and even then I have a list. I’ve recently reevaluated my cable, internet and cell bills to cut what I really don’t need and get a better deal. The M.A.C.-buy-back program is my guilty pleasure. And I never road trip unless my oil changes are on point to save gas. You just have to make these changes in this messed up economy. We get bombarded by overpriced vanity items and unrealistic reality shows devoted to decadent materialism it’s hard to focus on your own finances. Hey, it’s one thing to be broke, it’s another thing to be broke down. Thanks for building us poor folks up Frugalista!

serge lescouarnec November 23, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Natalie
Congrats on the nomination/ selection
How come your blog did not land on my radar earlier, I don’t know?
I have been writing about going from ‘Consumed to Thrifty’ on ‘Serge the Concierge’ (also on Typepad) since March 2008.
Here’s the link to my ‘Consumed to Thrifty’ stories
I might offer a panel on the same topic at South by Southwest (March 2009).
Take care
Serge
‘The French Guy from New Jersey’

Katy Wolk-Stanley November 23, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Isn’t it funny how you work so hard and diligently on your serious journalism, and then it’s the fun stuff where you make your mark?
And yes, frugality is fun.
I’m so psyched for you!
-Katy Wolk-Stanley

Vanessa November 23, 2008 at 4:31 pm

I agree. “Frugalista is waaaaay better than “hypermiling” which is just weird and sometimes dangerous!!
Go Nat!!

CeeCee November 23, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Natalie,
This is great news.You are on to something big, I can’t wait to see what’s next.

Lou November 23, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Yes! What a deal a wordsmith creates a word! This is great. Hopefully Charles Osgood will take notice and put you on his show…and then maybe the other networks will take notice. Fame can be good!

The Frugalista Files November 23, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Thanks everyone for the support! Frugalistas are wonderful people!

Product Junkie Diva November 24, 2008 at 10:06 am

COngrats oh Frugal one!!!!
This is great news. Frugalista gets my vote.
Great pic too.

eat.run.write November 24, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Hust read in William Safire’s column that frugalista is THE word of the year. Congrats!

Lima November 24, 2008 at 8:21 pm

How exciting! Congrats!

The Sale Rack November 27, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Hi,
I discovered your blog as I was doing research on a post I just did on the term “frugalista”. Your blog is awesome!
Thought you would appreciate the two words I coined to describe the different types of frugal these days.
would love to have you guest blog if you are interested…let me know!

The Frugalista Files November 27, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Thanks! I didn’t see this coming from Oxford or the New York Times. I’m so happy that people “get” what I’m trying to do! I really appreciate all of you frugalistas making it happen for us!

Sharon and Cal December 6, 2008 at 9:52 pm

Frugal is the new black! Congratulations!