College women using sugar daddies to pay bills | The Frugalista

College women using sugar daddies to pay bills

by frugalista on December 3, 2008

smack mistress saskia gallery  294x College women using sugar daddies to pay bills
Gracious! Jezebel.com posted about a college woman with a male benefactor who pays her lavish bills.  He is her "sugar daddy." The woman will be the man’s girlfriend as long as he gives her cash.  The politically correct term is "mutually beneficial arrangement." There are websites dedicated to this, which I won’t be posting here.

This sounds a little risky. I know tuition is out of control, but what if you hate the guy? And what do you REALLY have to do for the money? I like gifts like the next woman, but these arrangements seem a little forced. Why can’t it happen naturally? If you meet a guy who you think is great and he chooses to spoil you, then awesome. Being a kept woman is not the most stable career. Work-study is an option for college girls, too. I wrote for my college paper for $138 every two weeks and look how I turned out! icon wink College women using sugar daddies to pay bills

What do you think about young women seeking sugar daddies? Have you ever had one or known someone who has one? Do you think these "sugar babes" are business women?

Product Junkie Diva December 3, 2008 at 9:52 am

I don’t see these ladies as business women at all. I have never had a sugar daddy and honestly I wouldn’t want one. My parents really taught me the importance of being able to support myself. I wouldn’t feel right waiting on some guy whether I liked him or not, to pay my bills.
When you are able to sit back in your corner office (or wherever you may be) and enjoy the fruits of YOUR labor, it feels so much better.

MissV December 3, 2008 at 9:57 am

Sis, the operative term is ‘prostitute’. And it can’t happen organically (whatever that means) if the John is married, or white, or etc. These Johns finally admit that they want a young play toy that talks too.

Coco December 3, 2008 at 10:43 am

These women aren’t looking for work-study. She never mentioned difficulty paying tuition or making ends meet – just spa trips. She’s a business woman – part of the world’s oldest profession!

savvy December 3, 2008 at 11:14 am

I guess stripping to pay your way through college is passe’. LOL. I wouldn’t do it but if both parties are willing, to each his own.

Tameika December 3, 2008 at 11:19 am

A ho is still a ho no matter what pretty term you give it or the dollar amount. Come on now! While her essay is beautifully written, it doesn’t change the fact that she is only spending time with dude because he’s her bankroll. Did anyone see that the website checks tax returns? Say what?!? Sounds like a high dollar call service to me. Someone get Eliot Spitzer on the case! Ooops! Never mind. Can anyone tell me the difference between Ashley Dupre and college student Melissa. Shameful!

Natalie December 3, 2008 at 11:22 am

This is sick. So wrong!! Reminds me of the Atlanta Peaches on that Show — you know, Big Papa!
I jokingly refer to myself as my husband’s sugar momma because I’m supporting him thought school…ew, maybe I’ll stop!

The Frugalista Files December 3, 2008 at 3:14 pm

PJD:High five!
Ms.V: Good points
Coco: Another vote for prostitute
Savvy: What consenting adults want to do, right?
Tameika:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Natalie: I didn’t have images of bad-wig Kim’s Big Papa

Brent December 3, 2008 at 9:59 pm

I don’t have a problem with it. But I’m a live and let live type of dude. And really, she is the one pimping him, since he’s doing all the work and giving her the money.

GLM December 4, 2008 at 11:13 am

I agree with the one word comment. They might as well go walk on a street corner. no two ways about it.
Who raised these “women”????
I’m sorry – I can’t make a lot of sense on this – what these women do make us all look bad.

Spendthfit December 4, 2008 at 1:28 pm

When I was in college in the mid 90′s a girl in my dorm had a ‘sponsor’. While most of us were living on bologna and cheese sandwiches she was having three course meals delivered. I won’t hate but I will shake my head in exasperation.

gina December 5, 2008 at 9:06 am

I find it interesting that no one is saying anything about the men who pay the bills. If you’re calling the woman a prositute, then the men are johns. But really, arrangements like this *do* happen “organically” — and have for decades, even centuries. Mistresses and courtesans are around for a reason, and the idea that women’s youth and beauty is a commodity hasn’t changed. If both parties can live with the consequences of their actions, and both are doing it if their own free will, I see no problem with the arrangement other than that the women is at a distinct disadvantage.

Beef Up Your Piggy December 7, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Wow….I think this is ridiculous. As a woman, I find it embarrassing that these women think they are business-minded. They need to learn to grow up and learn responsibility. I agree with the above poster that the men are just as pathetic.