No-Buy Month: The Remix! | The Frugalista

No-Buy Month: The Remix!

by frugalista on January 27, 2009

No Buy Month: The Remix!
 Greetings, Frugalistas! Well, it's coming up on my  blog anniversary and I'm returning to how I started. Yep, that's right. In February, I will do another no buy month. I'm not getting my hair or nails done. No eating out. No car washes. I'm not buying anything other than necessities like groceries and gas. No, I'm not spending money to socialize either. I did this last year and saved $400. This year, though, I want to add a little twist. I am going to burn calories too. Miami was recently named the fattest city in the United States by Men's Fitness magazine. I've done my part to contribute to the chubbification of Miami. icon sad No Buy Month: The Remix!   But, during the no-buy month,  I vow to work out at least four times a week. Yay!
BURN CALORIES, NOT CASH! icon smile No Buy Month: The Remix!

What say you? Are you in? Are you ready to save some cash? Are you ready to see me whine because I can't buy an album release that I want? Do you want to see me sweat? Frugalistas UP!

savvy January 27, 2009 at 10:38 am

Good for you! I’ll be cheering from the sidelines because I couldn’t do it myself. One week maybe…

Wannabe Frugalista January 27, 2009 at 10:40 am

Natalie you are such an inspiration. I will definitely go on this journey with you (and by going with you I mean I will follow you along the way.) Best of luck.

The Frugalista FIles January 27, 2009 at 11:46 am

Savvy: Come on, you can do it. Let’s try it the first week and see how you like it.
Wannabe: I promise, it’s harmless. I’ve done this before and look how great I turned out! :)

Jinger January 27, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Well, since food, gas and bills are all I spend money on each month anyway, I am in…but at the end of the month, I turn 65 and think I deserve to spend a little on myself then just for making so far :-)

Lashawn January 27, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I pledged February as a no spend month as well. I didn’t include all of the things you’ve included, but I’ll see how I do. I think I’ll try to go a month without sepending at least three times a year.

savvy January 27, 2009 at 1:14 pm

A girl’s got to get her hair done! And eat out at least once a week. I don’t want to cook every single day… :-)
Besides, I’m on vaca next week anyway.

GLM January 27, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I’m going to be on business travel for part of February to San Francisco. That’s my opportunity to buy higher-end Chinese tea – last time was 2 years ago. But I’ll join with you for the first two weeks of the month!
My challenge is not buying meals at the deli at work – I do that a couple of times a week on my $100 a week budget ($20 save, $40 gas, $40 food) but often the save ends up spent! So I’m looking forward to the exercise!

Coco January 27, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I was with it 100% last year. This year…hmmmm. I have a few social plans that will cost me. Then again, I would save a fortune if I gave up deli lunches for a month.

Rippy January 27, 2009 at 9:31 pm

If you need some free music downloads in February, try Spiral Frog (www.spiralfrog.com). Make an account and download away – renew your account every thirty days to keep going. It’s a mixed bag on the choices, some current stuff, lots of stuff you never heard of. But it will keep you from spending money in February. I use it all the time. Good luck to you.

The Frugalista FIles January 28, 2009 at 2:35 am

@Jinger: We love Pisces! Just love them!
@Lashawn: Oh my! Three times a year! You are strong!
@Savvy: LOL. I’ll be roller setting my hair at home.
@GLM: Thanks, GLM. Have a great trip to San Francisco. I wish I could hop in your luggage.
@Coco: Another reader with a great deli near work. It’s time for a home deli!
@Rippy: Three cheers for Rippy! I need some new selections because I’ve played out the music I bought for Christmas.

Mrs Green January 28, 2009 at 2:58 am

Ooooo, I’m so tempted, but I have tried this three times in the past and failed miserably :(
You are a true inspiration, however, and I shall give it another go; maybe I’ll start with a week and see how I get on.
I don’t spend that much anyway, but sometimes I’m spontaneous with purchases and get my wants and needs a little muddled ;)
Good luck! I shall be following your blog…
Mrs g

Converting A Spendthrift January 28, 2009 at 9:18 am

I am with you for the No Spending as well as for the weight loss. I need to Burn Calories, Not Cash!

Product Junkie Diva January 29, 2009 at 10:15 am

I love that you are doing this Frugalista. I would totally be in but I will need to buy some things in Feb..lol. Ok I’m kind of in YAY. And I love the weight lost twist.
LOL @ chubbification.

The Cheap Chica January 29, 2009 at 11:55 am

frugalista, i want to do this challenge, but i know it’s going to be hard. very hard, lol.

SavvyShopper February 1, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Just saw your blog…here in Tampa on SuperBowl vacation…no buy 4 a month…I will do it. Will start on Weds when I return to the DC area and take my month thru to March 4. Wish me luck!! Great Blog by the way…

Sabrina Tyuse February 2, 2009 at 1:48 pm

OK, this is day three and I although I was able to resist the $4.75 videos at Target yesterday, I now have a dilemma. A book by my favorite author, Beverly Jenkins, was just released. What is a a girl to do? (smile). I will try to resist but it will be very very hard. Maybe I could do some form of penance. Help!
Book Diva

J February 3, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I love “burn calories, not cash”! What a fun mantra. I just moved, so shopping is kind of a must to feel out the neighborhood and decorate. But we also sold a bunch of old stuff, plus don’t do a ton of shopping anyway.