Dress made from Starburst wrappers | The Frugalista

Dress made from Starburst wrappers

by frugalista on May 18, 2010

grstarburst052310 300x271 Dress made from Starburst wrappers*

Ok, give Team Reuse/Re-purpose two points! A North Carolina teenager made her prom dress out of Starburst wrappers. You know Starburst…the candy! I think the dress is super adorable. I could see her winning a Project Runway challenge.

From the article by reporter Tiffany S. Jones of the Greensboro News & Record:
(Kelly) Henriksen, 18, made her dress from duct tape, masking tape and about 450 individual wrappers and 20 packages of Starburst candy.

Waste not, want not!

Do you like the dress? Do you re-purpose anything? I cut my old jeans into shorts. That counts, right?

*Photo courtesy of the Greensboro News & Record

Sara Phillips May 19, 2010 at 10:44 am

I love it!!! Such a cute dress!

Smarty P. Jones May 19, 2010 at 10:55 am

FTR, she didn’t personally eat all the candy. She got help from friends. It took less than a week for all those teenagers to give her more than 1,000 wrappers.

Frugalista May 19, 2010 at 11:04 am

@Sara: It’s awesome, right?
@smarty Aw. She’s an angel, sharing Starbursts with her friends. She didn’t give me one!

Tomeiko Sewell May 19, 2010 at 11:23 am

I think it is cute! Well put together. She even made her dates bow tie. Considering too many young ladies go to prom looking like they are walking the red carpet for some annual stripper awards.

Zerline May 19, 2010 at 11:26 am

It’s actually cute. Think a 30–something could get away wearing that at a professional gala? Maybe I’ll just be frugal enough to buy at Marshalls or Ross … or the Goodwill.

Stacey May 19, 2010 at 11:59 am

I’m sorry. I can’t cosign this. If this was a sista walking out her house to go to prom dressed in Starburts wrappers, her photo would have been featured in one of those ghetto prom email forwards we all get round this time of year. Just saying…*bygones*

Frugalista May 19, 2010 at 12:16 pm

@tomeiko: It’s innocent, right?
@Zerline: Depending on the industry. For sure, fashion!
@Stacey: Tell us how you really feel! :) Are you about to email this dress to Hotghettomess.com? LOL

Stacey May 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm

LOL Don’t give me any ideas Ms. Frugalista! I don’t need much encouragement. ;-)

finallygettingtoeven May 29, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Now that is a dress to remember for a night to remember. How creative of this individual and i think she will be the type to go far in life. Good for her!