Join me for No-Buy Month | The Frugalista

Join me for No-Buy Month

by frugalista on January 27, 2011

natalieinstudio1 231x300 Join me for No Buy MonthHello my Frugalistas!!! Starting in February, I’m doing  my annual No-Buy Month challenge. I’m going a month without dining out, going to the hair or nail salon. I’m not paying for entertainment. I hope you join me in my challenge. We can save together. As part of No-Buy Month, you still pay your bills, get gas for your car if you need it and even go to the doctor if you have to. However, no getting gumballs from the vending machine. No takeout food runs. No getting your car professionally washed. Easy, right?! I’ve done it and I still have my fingers and toes. The first time I did it, I saved $400. It’s in my book, The Frugalista Files: How One Woman Got Out of Debt Without Giving Up the Fabulous Life.

Follow along here at the blog, leave your tips on my Facebook group and hit me up on twitter!

Luvin' My Curves January 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I’m in!

Sheena LaShay January 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I’m joining in on this challenge. My good friend Kia, she’s @quixoticonline on twitter told me about it. I’m going to be blogging about this experience on my site.

Ms P January 27, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I am reading the book now, I want to join you in the no buy month. I am in debt and I want to retire when this jobs ends. So I am ready to tighten the belt.

Jennifer January 27, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I read an article where Michelle Singletary did something like this and wrote about her experience. Not sure if I can do this…I know I’ll make a cupcake run or see a new nail polish that I have to buy. Let me think on this one:)

PJD January 28, 2011 at 2:31 am

Hey Frugalista
Well February is the shortest month in the year, and I’ve been thinking about different ways to cut back. So ummm *bites nails and wipes sweat from brow* I’m in!
I hope..lol either way, I’m supporting you on your no buy month.

Kris Z January 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Thanks for your message, Natalie. I am SO in for the February “No Buy” month. I enjoyed your book so much that I just talked about it with my 549 Facebook friends! Your book is fun and motivational- I am a fan :)

frugalista January 30, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I love, love, love it all! You guys are some real troopers! Let’s go! Feb. 1!

Karen January 30, 2011 at 2:33 pm

My sisters and I are doing the No Buy Out Month. We’ve already been arguing, but I think we can do it!! They say I cheated because I ordered some shirts on-line last week for my bday (Feb 27). I just like to wear new clothes on my b-day. *kanye shrug*.

Kay January 30, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I got your book as a birthday gift in December, read it and loved it! I actually spent January not spending at all and it was empowering! I’ll do my best to join you in February, too! I don’t miss things as much as I thought I would. Thanks for sharing!

Chris February 1, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I’m joining in. I do have a hair appt. next Friday, but I really need it, I’m getting shaggy!

Jennie D (UK) February 2, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I’m reading your book and love the concept. I have already started and sharing this with my friend. Best wishes to all, Good Luck. x

Marge February 2, 2011 at 3:22 pm

It takes 28 days to create/change a habit and I decided to do this as I have a food addiction and I will not go out to eat or buy extra food. I have enough in my cabinet and fridge and plan on using what I have. Jan. I spent $400 on food and eating out. Boy oh boy the $ I could save and the mental weight along with the physical weight are worth being frugal to attain freedom!

Chris February 12, 2011 at 12:31 am

This has been an eyeopener. I didn’t realize how much I thought about shopping until now. It’s gotten to be a habit to stop at the big box stores on my way home from work. We don’t have big box stores in the town where I live and it wasn’t until I was transferred to the city that I started shopping at those stores. And last week I bought stuff from the snack machine at work three times before I remembered it was off limits. I seldom buy that stuff cause it’s not on my diet. But I was feeling stressed. So this month is making me more aware of my behavior. Anyone else find this so?

twyla February 25, 2011 at 8:57 pm

oh wow wish I had heard of this at the beginning of the month.

Diane March 24, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I’ve been doing this for about seven years. Last year, I was out of the country for the month of February. Since all the costs of the trip were prepaid and I didn’t buy much on the trip itself, I shrugged and said “close enough”. This year. I started in January. Those last three days were hard! I then decided to continue into February. Once February was done, I decided to stretch it out for one more month, just for good measure. I disagree with the do-something-for-28-days-and-presto!-it’s-a-habit. It won’t be any easier to avoid temptation once my “cash diet” is over, but it’s great to watch my savings increase. I know I have a solid “jump start” on my 2011 finances.

Wyd December 29, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I would love to succeed at this challenge. My birthday is in February what do you suggest?

frugalista December 29, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Hey, Wyd! You should purchase, The Frugalista Files: How One Woman Got Out of Debt Without Giving Up the Fabulous Life. It’s a memoir and I wrote all about how I did a No Buy Month! Good luck and check back in with me! xo!