1) Get a change of scenery. Go outside. If you live a warm climate like I do, hit the beach or state park for a picnic. Bring some cheap wine (a personal favorite is Beringer Moscato that runs about $6 per bottle). Or you can splurge on a bottle of Moet, which is about $30 from the liquor store. Bring your iPad, and play your favorite love jams. Maybe you have a song that makes you think of your loved one. Make sure to play that at the beach/park outing. Now, if you are from where I’m originally from (Chicago) a picnic may not be an option. However, if it’s not freezing, go outside and make a heart in the snow for your boo. Tell him you want him make something in the snow for you, too. A short hike together will get you cold, and you can cuddle later to get warm. You may even have a deer sighting. Afterward, have some chocolate-covered strawberries and cocoa to warm you up at home.
2) Make a fancy dinner trying a NEW recipe from a gourmet grocery. I LOVE trying new recipes. Full disclosure: I only learned to cook over the last year, but, it’s so much fun trying a new recipe. If it turns out great, you would have accomplished something as a couple. If it tastes bad, you can joke about how at least you tried. It’s something you did TOGETHER. I made this Lemon Chicken in a Garlic and Herb Butter Sauce from The Fresh Market the other day. I LOVED IT.
3) Write a letter. You have to give people the roses while they can still smell them. Arrange for you and your snuggle bear to write each other love letters. People LOVE that stuff. It’s an ego stroke.
4) Attend a free concert together. I’m a big fan of free events. Sometimes businesses just want people to show up events. They make their money off advertising. Scour your local alternative news weekly or websites like citysbest.com for suggestions. Or check out a Modern Art Museum together. Hold hands walking through the exhibit; sneak a few glances at each other. There’s nothing more entertaining than a Modern Art Museum. There are so many interesting things to see. Even if you don’t like some of the art, you can talk trash about it later.
5) Rent a movie together. The library has a wide selection of DVDs that your taxpayer dollars have paid for already, Blockbuster be damned. And for later that evening, wear your best lingerie!