No-Buy Test: Cook What’s in Your Kitchen | The Frugalista

No-Buy Test: Cook What’s in Your Kitchen

by frugalista on February 11, 2011

Food waste is a major problem. Let’s slay it.  Check out this video with a friendly tip. Hint: Supercook.com is your friend!

How often do you waste food? Are you a freezer queen? I hope so? What recipe/dish did you throw together using what was left in your kitchen- and LOVED?!

P.S. Food waste tip: Substitute bagged cole slaw for iceberg lettuce when making a salad. The cole slaw last longer and has better crunch!

tsj2003grad February 11, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I’ve been doing this all month! *adjusts halo*
I keep a lot of things that will make a meal as a staple in my house. Plus, my mom has an expression, “when you’re full, you’re full.”

Karen February 11, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Thank you for the website! I love it already!

Lynn February 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Great idea. Most people aren’t aware that Americans toss out up to 40% of what we buy! So buying then actually EATING what we have is very important whether you’re trying to save money or the planet or both! Thanks so much for helping on both sides.

Legally Married February 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I notice this too, but I’ve also noticed that when I cut back on buying processed foods, I actually threw out less. I guess when we have lots of yummy processed snack foods, we forget about the fruits and vegetables! :)

BGriffin February 14, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I have used supercook.com as well…just last week I made a spicy shepherds pie using just what I had at home :)

Hometown Postville` December 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Not all of us have hours and hours to cook down tomatoes into home-canned spaghetti sauce, so I use the easy way out and pulse my fresh tomatoes in the food processor and freeze them, then add a jar of generic sauce when it’s time to eat. Today, I was making a batch of chili and put a couple qt bags of tomatoes in the MW to thaw. One of them had a pinprick hole in the bottom so when I pulled the container out of the MW, here was all this yellowish fluid in the bottom, leaving nothing but concentrated tomato puree in the bag! Isn’t that what “cooking down sauce” does? Removes a lot of the water? Duh!!! My chili turned out the best it ever has and I have a new way to make thick, homemade spaghetti sauce in half the time! Sometimes foodie “accidents” turn into great things!