Real Men Use Coupons! | The Frugalista

Real Men Use Coupons!

by frugalista on May 16, 2011

Hello, my Frugalistas! I recruited a guest blogger today to chat with us about his views of couponing and dating. Please welcome Terence Turner to thefrugalista.com. He’s a good dude and even bought a copy of my book! icon smile Real Men Use Coupons! Last Friday, I chatted with my friends on Twitter about whether it’s O.K. for a guy to use coupons on a date. It’s a topic that’s always hot. I have even hosted a Twitter #dealchat on romance and finance.Terence jumped right in with his views and I had to invite him to share them with you all. His views made me rethink my views on dating and coupons. Without further ado (so formal), please read Terence’s post on being a proud couponer!

nice headshot1 250x300 Real Men Use Coupons!PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!

It was a normal day on Twitter (which, if you are really into tweeting, you know it is anything BUT normal), and the following question (paraphrased) came up in my timeline: To Coupon or Not To Coupon on a date?

My immediate response? Yup. Without shame, either. I mean why not?

Dating is research to me. It allows you to observe behaviors, engage in conversation, and discover more about yourself and your desire. I think that coupon shows you a couple of things about me.
1) I don’t like paying full price when I don’t have to
2) I’m a planner (I normally eat where I can save money.)

I can say I have it honest, too. My mother keeps a Ziploc bag and organizer full of coupons in her glove compartment. She stays strapped. I’ve seen her stretch a dollar like taffy, and picked up on that essential skill.
Where the coupon-usage can go south is if dude makes it into a spectacle. Some of us men are just not smart when it comes to doing things covertly and tactfully. Don’t trip. I am solution-oriented and will help you out this one.

The Game Plan

1. Know the terms of the coupon.
2. Don’t force your date to eat according to that coupon. If you and her are “cool” like that, let her know you have the coupon in the first place. Might make your job a whole lot easier.
3. If you need to use the coupon, excuse yourself from the table after you order and say you have to go to the bathroom. Find the server and handle your transaction that way. That covert way would make James Bond real proud.

So by all means, use that coupon. Use groupon if you have to. If she complains about you using a coupon, she isn’t hungry in the first place. Tell her Turner said that.

Recent graduate (Master’s) of The University of Toledo and will begin working in Student Affairs(Residence Life) at UNC-Charlotte this Fall.
Follow him on Twitter at @turnerthegreat

What do you think? Is it OK for a man to use a coupon on while dating? Does it matter if it’s a first date or not? Would you date a coupon clipper seriously? Are coupons sexy?

JD May 16, 2011 at 11:14 am

Well stated, Terence. In this day and age, using a coupon on a first date may not be recommended, but as the relationship progresses, it’s fair game. Using Groupon should not be considered out of bounds, especially if there’s a really cool event, activity, or restaurant involved.

Nicki Mayo May 16, 2011 at 11:39 am

It’s a recession! I for one appreciate a frugal deal seeking guy. Less money wasted means more money for us to enjoy on other things. Just as long as food and clothing quality is not sacrificed I’m all for it. I think Coby Bell’s character “Jason Pitts” on “The Game” was on to something. Frugal today = Future $$$. I say to the “Pitts Dip” and clip some coupons.

V. Evans May 16, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I actually hunt for coupons and Groupons to use on my dates. I agree with Nicki. More money you save on a date means more dates we can go on, more things we can do, more money saved! The only caveat is one that’s been brought up before. Don’t use them on the first date. Using them on the first date, it’s hard to tell if the guy’s being frugal or if he’s cheap. I love a frugal guy, hate a cheap dude. Just play it safe!

On the second date, it’s more than cool to say “Hey! There’s a Groupon for this great Indian restaurant, let’s check it out!” Just last night I went to the movies, two tickets for $9 through LivingSocial.

My beau loves that he asks me out for lunch and I pull out the SmartSource mailer and clip a coupon for Steak & Shake or IHOP. Or he’ll ask me out to dinner and I’ll search Scoutmob or Restaurants.com for discounts.

Actually, our first date was to the museum because I mentioned it was free the first weekend of the month for Bank of America customers! Still a great date, just saved about $40! So clip those coupon guys!

Terence May 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm

There are too many ways to save money on dates now. I even get ideas from Groupon items that pop up.

Bryan May 16, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Ladies, whether it’s the first date or the 50th, as long as you are not unexpectedly asked to help finance the date, why should it matter whether I use a coupon, Groupon or any other professional/networking hook-up at my disposal? The only thing that should matter to you is whether you enjoyed that man’s company, that front row seat, that couple’s weekend at that 5-star resort or that 2 minute jump out of that airplane…just three of the incredibly innovative dates I paid for via Groupon.

Smarty P. Jones May 16, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Aye, he better work that coupon! We’re in a recession. Any chick who gets upset at a dude using a coupon on a date didn’t want to go in the first place. I’m all for having standards and treating a lady like a lady, but that lady needs to recognize which side her bread is buttered on. If you have an issue with him using a coupon, you can always buy your own food. Humph!

Brent May 16, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I can still see some women doing a double take (and not in a good way) if she sees you using a coupon. And if it’s a first date, I can definely see some not allowing for another outing.

Coco May 16, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Curious – Is this good or bad? Is a woman treated as less than premium quality if she allows you to save a couple bucks?

Terence May 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I agree. I still don’t get the logic behind the controversy though.

Coco May 16, 2011 at 6:17 pm

If you’re picking up the check, feel free to pay for it however you see fit – I don’t even think you need to sneak away to conduct your transaction. I wouldn’t feel any type of way 1st date or otherwise, UNLESS you made me feel like I was limited to less than desirable discount items…”Want to go to brunch? Cool. We’re going to Denny’s. You’re okay with Moons Over My Hammy, right?”

If you and Frugalista ever got together. She’d be Nat Turner – just sayin’.

Terence May 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Thanks for the comments, yall. Definitely enjoyed speaking on thee subject.

Cheap Sally May 17, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Using a coupon is totally fine on a first date or any other date. It shows that you’re smart about your money and secure enough with yourself to use a coupon even though the perception is that it could be frowned upon. If saving money is a big deal to you, using a coupon on the first date can separate the keepers from the rest of the crowd.

tabeasley May 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I agree with Cheap Sally. I believe if there is a way to save then use it. It shows that you are a planner and organizer (some women like this, I know I do). Heck, I just got through clipping my coupons. Terrence, you make a good point and I like your style.

Coupon Codes June 22, 2011 at 11:41 am

frugalista August 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I love the discussion here. I really think that it’s awesome that men are saving money. Two couples who save and have a little fun as needed can take over the world! Frugalistos are the best!!