Facebook Wedding Invitations | The Frugalista

Facebook Wedding Invitations

by frugalista on September 6, 2011

4328777173 b3cb83f9d5 150x150 Facebook Wedding InvitationsHey, my Frugalistas!! I was quoted in a Sun-Sentinel article about the growing trend of brides using Facebook to send off their wedding invitations. The theory is that it’s a very quick and affordable way to invite people to share your special day. I. Am. Not. A. Fan. I am frugal. I am not cheap! What’s wrong with finding a more affordable way to send invitations- that doesn’t come with a terms of service agreement and a passcode? I was astounded and outraged that brides would use Mark Zuckerberg to design their wedding invitations. Now, I understand that you may want to save some trees, but I would prefer it if you planted a few extra trees in your backyard to make up for the printed invitation. Or, if you are an environmentalist techie, you can send out specially designed email invitations. I don’t really care for the email invitations either, but I find them tolerable.

If I were invited to a Facebook wedding, I probably would miss the invitation with the scores of happy hour invites that I get. If I did get the invite via Facebook, I would probably get you a budget gift. Yep, I said it. I would rather you just call me and invite me to the affair. A text message would even be more personal than Facebook. What’s next? Twitter wedding invitations? Or rather “twedding twivitations?”

What do you think? Would you use Facebook to send off your wedding invites?

epSos.de, Flickr

GLM September 6, 2011 at 3:23 pm

tacky as HEYULL!!! I mean, come on! If you can’t spend the money on stamps, just go ahead and elope. You don’t have to get engraved stationery, but you DO have to send a clear invitation, and for the love of all that is holy, don’t make everyone’s response public. I mean, let’s face it – group invitations on FB are horrible in the first place. The conspicuous consumption wedding industry is horrible, too, but sending a postcard is really a better option than FaceBook!!!

frugalista September 6, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Yes! We are kindred on this post! Bad business!

Rasheeda September 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Natalie,

This is as absurd as people spending thousands of dollars they don’t have on a wedding. If you can’t afford to have a party, don’t have one. That’s it! No ifs, ands or buts about it. All a wedding is is a party. If you want to have one, pay for it. If you can’t afford one, don’t have one. Affording it means paying for things like invitations. Paying money you don’t have? No! Spending no money on crap like this? No! There is a tasteful middle.

This is what you call a Frugalaster (frug-disaster?) in the making. Big F for Facebook invitations.

emarvelous September 7, 2011 at 10:11 am

Oh this is totally unacceptable! Since when does frugal equal TACKY?! These are probably the same people who want to tell you they’re engaged/pregnant in a text message.

There are many options for affordable wedding invitations that are tasteful without breaking the bank. Perhaps you should help them with some suggestions, Frugalista!

Seriously, you expect folks to travel and buy you a gift and you can’t even send an invite? The definition of trifling. Whew!

Literary Marie September 10, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Facebook wedding invites are not frugal; they are tacky. I won’t even R.S.V.P.

Sue March 28, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I can understand your opinion on the facebook wedding invitations. I however, disagree. I grew up in California and moved to Argentina. I was born in Spain and my husband to be is also from Spain. We have our own tourist business in Argentina and plan to have our wedding here at our business. I do believe in saving trees and not wasting a bunch of money on paper invitations. In my case it only makes sense to send out electronic invitations, since we have friends in all parts of the world. I understand this is not the case for most people. I do feel that a nice wedding website is the best and using facebook to forward the website invitations is just another way to get the word out. I do believe more personal is better and sending to the persons email is the best. However, these days most people check their facebook before their email.

What I think is how sad it is that people feel that showing status is what a wedding is about. Money is not important. The love and relationships you share, a wedding is the celebration of love, not money. You want to be shallow and think about cheap gifts and judge those who do things different.. in my opinion is those who value money over true friendship and love are more tacky then anyone who tries to cut back on costs. If you want to be a clone and try to be like everyone else and worry about how fancy you make a wedding and the invites then you have lost sight of the true definition of a wedding celebration. I hope only for those to think twice about the value of life and stop trying to fulfill your lives with commercially brainwashed ideas.

Sincerely,

Bride to be

LC Coleman March 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Bride to be, I definitely agree with you on a couple of points: weddings are not (or should not be) about money or showing status. They are a celebration of love, not of commercialism. That being said, you don’t need money to make something significant. However, you do need to take the time and effort necessary to make every piece of that event something more than ordinary. In other words, don’t advertise your wedding in the same place your cousin is advertising his fraternity’s keg stand. That cheapens the event in ways that are not monetary in the least!

Mandy July 26, 2012 at 10:24 am

Sue, I completely agree with you, & I actually find it tacky that the author of this article would say that they’d give someone a “budget gift” if they were invited to their wedding through Facebook. That is a terrible thing to say. The ONLY thing a wedding should be about is the love of the two people getting married, & it’s THEIR wedding, so if they want to use Facebook to invite people, then they should be able to do that without being judged. I think it’s extremely judgmental that the author said the things they said in this article. Get with the times. Give it another few years, & I’ll bet more people than not will be using electronic means (including social sites) to invite people to their weddings.