Why No Buy? | The Frugalista

Why No Buy?

by frugalista on February 1, 2012

2418695 3600b4cab5 300x168 Why No Buy?

Below is a repost of a blog post I wrote last year. It’s my call to No-Buy Month arms! So excited! Happy Saving! NM!

When I mention that I am doing a No-Buy Month, some people seem pretty perplexed- even irate. The thought of going 28 days without conspicuous consumption seems outright odd. Some folks think that I am a glutton for pain or I’m trying to damage the economy. Um, no.

No-Buy Month, the first time I did it, was life changing. Going without dining out, I was forced to learn how to cook. By not shopping at my every whim, allowed me to take stock of the clothes in my closet.  Refusing to go to the salon every two weeks, showed me that I could have a stable bank account. Saving almost $400 at the end of the month showed me that while I complained about not making enough money, I certainly had room to trim the budget fat. Using that $400 to visit a friend who was terminally ill, without running up another credit card balance was priceless.

No-Buy Month isn’t a punishment. It’s a chance to pamper your finances and take stock in what you have, want and need.  Someone once told me that the line items in our banking statements tell us where our priorities in life are.  Three years ago, I was spending  almost the same amount getting my hair done as I had in my savings account. What did that say about my life’s priorities?  I shudder. With the average college student graduating with $24,000 in student loans and the country’s foreclosure rate where it is, many of us can do a little bit better by our finances.

Let’s have fun this month. You can grocery shop. You can find free things to do for fun.  No-Buy Month is 1/12th of the year. Frugalistas UP!

xoxo,

Natalie P. McNeal

author, The Frugalista Files: How One Woman Got Out of Debt Without Giving Up the Fabulous Life

P.S. I’m going to be on ‘ Wealthy Lifestyle Radio with Deborah Owens at WEAA 88.9FM in Baltimore at 7 pm tonight! Check it out!

emdot,Flickr

Smarty P. Jones February 1, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Yea, I’ve done #nobuymonth before, saved nearly $200. I’m doing it again, because really, who doesn’t want to be able to save more money? I’m up for the challenge! So much so, that I blogged about what I learned reading your book and how I plan to participate in #nobuymonth. It’s going to be hard, but we have to encourage each other. #teamFrugalista

Ms P February 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm

This is day 3 of no buy month, and it is easier said than done when you are an emotional spender. I really wanted to spend $1.00 on a small bag of chips, rather than wait and buy the big bag on sale. But I didn’t, just needed to vent

Ms P February 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Smarty that is so true, I was close to the spend edge today, Thanks for your encouragement

Katy February 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Natalie-thanks for all of the inspiration! I am doing the “No Buy Month” challenge! I blogged about it here:

Thanks!

Frugalista February 3, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Hey Ladies! Looking good! Loving all of posts and hang in there Ms. P.!

Karen February 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Whew Frugalista…this “No Buy Month”…lol My sisters and coworkers are doing it. It’s good to have a group of us doing it, we keep eachother in check. One coworker was running late and didn’t make her coffee at home, she texted me “see who wants starbucks” I texted back “we all do but u can’t go…no buy out!”

Clearly we need eachother!

Cheryl February 7, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Feb 1st, I started a no buy month on my own.I tell you it’s not easy. But I know that it will be worth it by the end of the month. I can already see $ stacking up, every Sunday after church I would treat my Mom, adult children (2) and their children (2)to dinner, this past Sunday, I rushed out the church so they wouldn’t ask where to :) It worked !I have to break it to them before next Sunday, that I will not be going out to eat this month.

Kendall May 31, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I am just now reading your book and am so inspired by this! Bummed I miss this February but have determined that August 2011 will be my first no spend month :-) It’s the only month with no big events or birthdays already scheduled haha, but I can’t wait to do this!!

Kris January 8, 2012 at 8:42 pm

SO glad you reposted this one. I am halfway through your book and just did my own hair. To put it in perspective, I had a 6:30a appt on Sat but I cancelled it as I read your book and started to feel motivated to make immediate changes. That appt would have cost me $80 ($10 extra for the convenience of an early morning appt). Go me!! $80 bucks saved and my hair looks just fine. Not salon-perfect but just fine. :)